Friday, August 29, 2014

LICE EWWWWWWWW

Okay, once again, I'm so sorry that you didn't get an email last week. I felt so bad all week! 
But it's okay because I have sooooo much to write this week! 
Oh and congrats to Blake! I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Guam. 

So I think I've written a little bit about our investigator from the part member family. Just in case I haven't, he is the only person in his family who is non-member. He is the father, and they have been praying hard and long that he will join the church. On fast Sunday, he attended, an answer to many prayers and much fasting. Then he didn't attend for a few weeks and we had to move back to square one. We decided that he needed a firmer testimony of the restoration, so we focused on teaching different aspects of the first lesson. We emphasized praying to know and reading the Book of Mormon in every lesson. After two weeks, we finally had success. At the end of our lesson tuesday, Sister Maagad invited him again to be baptized. My breath stopped, because we had extended many times with the same result. "I don't know it's true yet." But this time, his head dropped. He began stuttering out something, clearly uncomfortable with his emotion which was beginning to show. We could almost make out tears as he said, "I asked the Lord. I prayed to know if it is true." After a few moments he said, "A strong feeling came. A voice said to me, 'You know it's true. Look at your children." He said that he pictured his children, and realized how good they were, how strong their testimonies were. He said, "I know it's true because my children are good kids." YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He still hasn't accepted a date yet, because he feels social pressures from his work. We are working and praying hard to help him overcome this. But we can see that he is beginning to really gain a strong testimony because he came to church on Sunday! We were so happy! 

We had another wonderful experience with one of our investigators, a referral from a member. Right from the start, she has been golden and ready to accept everything we teach! It's been so exciting to watch her grow. We focused a little longer on the Restoration than  most investigators, and we weren't really sure why. It always felt wrong to move on for some reason, even though she was accepting everything really well. Well, I think we know why now. When we taught Plan of Salvation, or lesson 2, this week, she shared with us that her family member had just passed away, someone she was really close to. The Plan of Salvation was exactly what she needed. I could see so much hope in her eyes as we shared the message of the resurrection and eternal families.I testified to her that, even though I had my own sister pass away, our family was confident in the hope that we will be with her again one day, if we follow the plan. Though loosing Lilee was hard for our family, I am grateful for the experience. I have seen it bless other's lives many times on the mission as i testify of the truth of eternal life and family. 

We had a feeding program this week, which is where we feed lunch to people who might not otherwise get the change to eat. It was really heartbreaking to see the faces of so many malnourished children. I wanted to hug each one and tell them they were loved by the Savior. I feel like these people are turning me into a totally different person. We shared mormon messages with them as they ate. We were able to get 15 potential investigators from that activity. I hope that we can find some who are ready for the gospel! 


Okay, and some news about me. For the past week and a half, my head has been really, really, itchy.... and I'm sure you've already guessed it.... LICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! 
It's been a traumatic experience, to say the least. Last night after planning, I looked up after itching every inch of my scalp with deeply with my nails and said, "Why is my head so itchy?! It's like I have lice!!!!!!' Sister Maagad was writing in her journal, but when she heard the word lice, she looked up appalled. "What?!" 
"I don't have it!" I said quickly, (unaware at that time, that I actually did) "I just feel like it." 
"Eeeww! Don't get lice!" She said warningly. "I'll kill you!"
It was then that I remembered my ever wise and prepared mother had sent me with a lice checking kit. I dug it out, still confident that it wasn't lice. I was down in the kitchen, combing out my hair with the special purple lice checking comb and I kept thinking, "Weird. There is a lot of dirt in my hair." (I thought lice was white, not brown.)
Finally, I stopped and examined the dirt closer. The dirt had legs. No way. 
I took it to Sister Maagad, who had just spit out her toothpaste and said, "What is this? Is that a bug?" 
Sister Maagad squinted.... and screamed. "LICE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE LICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
We both started jumping up and down screaming, "Lice! Ewww!" 

Well, the long and short of it is, I spent all night having my hair combed by the other sisters. It was nasty! There were so many lice eggs and lice bugs and I was just so grossed out!!!!!!!!!!
All the sisters had to check their hair as well. Thankfully, I was the only one. All night and morning we have undergone the painful process of lice-killing the entire apartment. Our apartment is pretty strong with the scent of chemicals right now. We had to boil everything I touched and I have to boil ALL OF MY CLOTHES. EVERY. LAST. ONE. 
But don't worry, with some good humor from the other sisters, compassionate cooperation on their part, and some intense action on everyone's part... we are moving toward a no-lice-life. I won't be absolutely sure they are gone until next week, but I did comb through my hair after using the lice shampoo this morning and I didn't see any... so hopefully, they are all dead and gone. Whew, Lice! I never would have thought! Grosss!!!!!!!! 


Other than that, I'm great! I love you! 
-Sister Beaumont 










No comments:

Post a Comment