Thursday, April 17, 2014

Week 11 - One More Week Until Training is Over

Hello everyone! Sorry that this email is coming so late this time! I didn't have time to stop at the internet shop and tell you I would be late this week. 
Schools out over here and there are a bunch of boys in this internet shop playing a game and sucking up all the internet juice- Sana, (hopefully) I can send home some pictures. If not, sorry! I do have a lot to email this week though so hopefully that will compensate.
First off, thank you for the pictures of dad on his mission. Those were so fun! I put them on a thumb drive so I can print/look at them more often. It looks like he received a "baptism" into Filipino food. (A member coined the phrase and has invited us to her house in the near future for our own "baptisms" into the Filipino food which includes half a chicken each and balut) Second, thank you again to all of those who have been emailing me. I'm sorry if I don't write back always. Mission life is so busy and hectic! But hopefully, I can email you in the near future. I print out all emails to read at home. I love it!  

So, onto this week! First, we deep cleaned out apartment this week. Who knew that it was as bad as we found it to be?! Many dead cockroaches occupied the laundry room and our fridge had food from 6 transfers ago. Yum. Not to mention all the hairballs that we found in closet spaces and underneath the stairs. It's really nice to have a clean living quarters now though. 
Abby's farewell was this week. It was sad to say goodbye to her! She has been so fun and sweet to work with! I actually started crying at her farewell party when we hugged because I realized- I might never see her again in person. And then I decided I don't like goodbyes on the mission. And I decided I don't want to transfer. Batangas mission forever!  (But I know that I'll probably be here for at least another transfer so its fine.) Sister Waldrom, our housemate is due to transfer though. It's going to be sad to say goodbye to her. We've all become such good friends! 
I can't really think of any funny stories- except for ones that occupy pictures so I'll just tell them in the email that I send the picture with. With that, I'm going to jump into the spiritual part of today's email! 

This week we've had a lot of meetings- so not a lot of time to teach. We had Zone P-day, Zone Meeting, General Conference, and Zone interviews. Whew. I feel like I just ate a thanksgiving feast like twice over- but spiritually. Today we had our Zone Interviews and it was so amazing. We got to see President! I love him so much!!!!!!!!!! Dad, you were right about mission presidents! :) We got to have interviews with him- which were about 7 minutes each.Too short! But I learned more in those 7 minutes than I have all week! He's so inspired- I wish I could just absorb all the wisdom he has for us. He's coming home in June- I wonder what the new mission president will be like. But hey, Parents, if you are ever in Arizona- you should stop by and say "Hi" for me! (He's from Arizona.) 

One of our greatest investigators suffered a death in her family this week. Her father passed away from heart failure. It was very sudden and very hard for them. We stopped by their house this week. I wish I better understood the culture when it comes to funerals. I didn't know how to comfort her. They have a viewing inside the house of the family for a couple of days usually, and it was a little different than I'm used to. I was afraid of taking up family time but it turns out that they have many friends stop by and stay all day at these viewing sessions. I just wish that we could have done more I guess. 

But we are getting along really well with our other investigators. We have two families that we are teaching. They are both progressing really well. The first family, (the family we found through tracting) is still as amazing as ever. Sometimes I feel like stopping a lesson and saying, "Okay, really. Are you faking us out? Are you really members? Is that why you accept everything so easily?" Everything we teach them, they strive to follow. And seriously, every other lesson we gain a new investigator. (All family members that live close by one another) One recent investigator (Of like, Saturday of last week) has read all the way to Alma 32 now. Crazy. I have NEVER  even met an investigator who read more than the first book of Nephi before being baptized! He's awesome!!!!!!!!! 
They came to General Conference with us this week.  They were so excited that morning when we went to meet them. The children kept jumping up and down saying, "We are going to church with you to today!" In their pretty little dresses. I almost started crying- it was so cute! 
We had to travel to a nearby city to watch it. There was 5 adults and 5 children in our company and thankfully the ward provided a service so it wouldn't be so expensive. As we waited for the cars to come at a nearby parking lot- I noticed the children running around, seconds from going out into the street and being flattened by the car. I kept thinking, "We need to keep this children engaged-but how?" As soon as I asked the question, the answer came. I started singing primary songs like "Do as I'm doing", "Popcorn popping", "Snowman", "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes," and invited the children to join in. Even though they didn't understand the words they enjoyed the motions and the tune. It was a really, fun sweet moment. 
General Conference was a bit more boring than they were probably expecting for those children though and I was actually thankful for all those years of practice with my rambunctious brothers during sacrament meeting. I was able to help engage them and keep them seated quietly. I have come to love this family so much! I get so excited each day that we are going to teach them. Seriously, I wake up and think, "Today is the day we teach them!"

Well, that's all for this week I think. I love you all and I can't wait to see you in a month- face to screen! 
-Sister Beaumont 
Sisters Again

"Wacky!" - Filipinos always say this when they want a funny picture. 

Raining in the Philippines. I literally feel like we are always chasing the rain here! I love the rain because everything cools off and I would way rather be wet from rain than from sweat. But we always seem to be just seconds behind it. Oh well, rain season is coming up in a few months and then I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune.

Saying Goodbye to Abby!  :(
Sister Fienga "posing" just seconds before a member entered the room. 

There I was, about to begin our planning session prayer one night, when I look up and see a "Who" from "Whoville" had switched places with my companion. I just about died. Seriously, I had to start my prayer three times before getting through because I was still laughing that hard! 

Sister Feinga hunched in the tricycles. We don't exactly both fit in your average Filippino tricycle and many times one of us has to take the floor. Sister Feinga loving offered herself this time. But she still looks squished and you can see that her head is touching the top there. 

When life gives you cancelled appointments, eat some ice cream. And you'll find a reason to smile. ( smile on the inside of my ice cream lid.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment